Monday, May 4, 2009

COLONIAL CONSUMPTION

A friend whose name we won't reveal, but who is commonly called "Steven," commented privately: "BTW, I didn’t want to blog it, but I find it difficult to believe that the FDA would allow City Tavern to be serving the very same food they were 223 years ago. Of course they had salt with which to preserve meats back then, but that still seems an awfully long time. The same holds true for the menus. Most assuredly they’d be greasy, tattered, shreds of paper by now. What do you take us, your readership, for?"
Perhaps Walter Staib, who now runs City Tavern and who is an old friend from Aer Lingus and ARAMARK will comment, although - come to think of it - he once prepared airline food! Gak!
As to Steven's (oops) other comment about the readership, I really didn't know that there was one. I thought I was writing this for therapy. If not, I might have to be more careful.
Not to worry - I know there is almost no one out there, so I can continue to hold my penis while I write or write this. Therapy is therapy.
As for City Tavern: Try the hard (overcooked) lamb, still called "mutton" on the menu. This is the last gray lamb in the colonies. Or perhaps you'd like the pheasant, shot this morning while cavorting on the Mall, and then known as pigeon. Maybe the rabbit stew, hard from the local pet shoppe?Too bad, we're all out of the Deer Testicles. (Sorry Walter)
BTW: If there is a "readership" please speak up and I'll clean it up.

1 comment:

  1. Self-censorship is for losers...just ask George (now Saint) Carlin. As for readership, you're still ahead of some newspapers. Get someone to share comment duty with me, though, will you?

    For all the years I lived there, I set foot in the City Tavern but once. Sorry, Walter, but nostalgia just ain't what it used to be, especially if you were never even there in the first place.

    Some old things (literature, music, art, architecture and a host of other subjects excepted) are simply not worth revisiting -- this is why the nation's first hospital a few blocks away does not do a booming business in retro surgery by rheumy eyed gentlemen with rusty hacksaws and pockets full of leeches.

    Not that you have to go all test tube and cyclotron with Ferran Adria (http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/23158/) instead, but there's no good reason to eat hasty pudding == wait, it's probably way better for you than most of the processed chemicals we eat. Never mind.

    Give Steven(oops) my regards if it's who I think it is.

    ReplyDelete